Notices

couple of stupid clutch questions

Old 01-16-2004, 10:48 PM
blackcivicd16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of stupid clutch questions

alright here's my situation, it is taking an excessive amount of force to shift into gear, when it finally does go into gear, it feels like it's popping into gear, I'm assuming that the problem is my clutch,but if anyone else can think of any other possibilities I'd like to hear them. I'm about to order a replacement clutch, which brings me to my next stupid question, what the hell is a throwout bearing? (see told you it was a stupid question) anyway any responses would be nice
Old 01-16-2004, 11:02 PM
copperfox
nubsos

Depending on the age of the car, you could need new shifter bushings and/or motor mount inserts so that the transmission moves less. I used to have a tough time shifting and they helped.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:13 PM
blackcivicd16

define difficult, with me shifting is damn near impossible
Old 01-16-2004, 11:21 PM
habitatsk8r392
Certified Ricer

Default Re: couple of stupid clutch questions

Originally posted by blackcivicd16
what the hell is a throwout bearing? (see told you it was a stupid question) anyway any responses would be nice
a throw-out bearing is connected to the release fork, which is connected to the clutch pedal via cables or hydrualics. when u put ur foot on the pedal, the bearing pushes on the springs in the diaphragm, which in turn takes pressure off the pressure plate, which releases the clutch disc from the flywheel.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:22 PM
pinoyboy
im asian

does the pedal fall to the floor, or require much less effort to depress it?

if so then it could be your clutch, or clutch master cyl.(leak)
Old 01-17-2004, 06:34 AM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

When is the last time you've flushed your tranny? That might cause it to be hard to slide into gear.

Since it looks like the guy up above just copy & pasted the info on a throw-out bearing, I'll make it simple. When you push the clutch, it pushes fluid into the master cylinder causing it to push your shift fork. When your shift fork is moved it presses the throw-out bearing against the splines on your clutch; which in returns seperates it from the flywheel allowing you to shift.

Normally I'd say go with an OEM throw-out bearing from the dealership but honda's might not have the same problem as my dsm.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:24 AM
blackcivicd16

pedal travel is the same as ever it's just shifting that is being troublesome, at a standstill the shifter moves easily, but once the car is rolling shifting is hard, also in 1st gear it chatters if that lends anymore insight to anyone
Old 01-17-2004, 08:35 AM
habitatsk8r392
Certified Ricer

Originally posted by TeHJuSTiN
When is the last time you've flushed your tranny? That might cause it to be hard to slide into gear.

Since it looks like the guy up above just copy & pasted the info on a throw-out bearing, I'll make it simple. When you push the clutch, it pushes fluid into the master cylinder causing it to push your shift fork. When your shift fork is moved it presses the throw-out bearing against the splines on your clutch; which in returns seperates it from the flywheel allowing you to shift.

Normally I'd say go with an OEM throw-out bearing from the dealership but honda's might not have the same problem as my dsm.
yeah especially cause all automotive tech websites use the abbreviations 'u' and 'ur' :airon:

and fyi i paraphrased it out of my Auto Fundamentals textbook.