Notices

newbie - just got a '99 civic si vtec coupe (in blue) ye-ha! + questions

Old 11-17-2003, 07:44 PM
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie - just got a '99 civic si vtec coupe (in blue) ye-ha! + questions

Just picked me up a '99 Si - in '83 I had a '82 prelude and loved it - now I'm back in a honda, finally. It's got 55k on it and I got it for 9g's

Anyway, the car's got DC 4-2-1, tanabe racing medallion exhaust, weapon-r intake, Field vtec controller (that I'm still fiddling with).

the car is pretty fast once I get it up in the 5k-6k rpm range. Just installed a weapon-r throttle rotor thingy - kinda cool.

Here's some questions -

#1 how do I make it faster for little to no $$$ - any tricks?

#2 how the hell do you get the crappy oem 6x9 speakers out of the back deck ???

#3 I've been reading sportcompactcar and see LOTS of stuff for the car but have little idea of what I would want - a.) the car handles pretty damn good - what suspension mods would make it handle better - strut bars?, adjustable coilovers? ???

#4 any advice on setting the field vtec controller ?

#5 any other advice from other 99-00 civic si owners would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!

I plan to hang here a lot and read.......

CHEERS !
Old 11-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrat's, great buy!

#1) Go fast with little or no $$, if you ever discover that one, definitely share that knowledge...because usually those two don't go hand in hand. If I were you, I'd probably look into investing in some cams, either Type R or Skunk 2's.

#2) They should unbolt from the top, not too familiar with 6th gen Civic's.

#3) Front Strut bar ( a good one) & a sway bar kit would suffice.

#4) For the VTEC controller, your best bet is to tune it at a dyno.

#5) Enjoy the car, keep it secure and you will love it.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 11-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Wharbone

pics?

Making a car fast will cost money. The cheapest thing you can do is improve your driving skills.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:10 PM
ferris

thanks for the replies. as far as the cheap go fast tricks, I really dig stuff you can do for no $$ - like indexing your plugs, changing timing, etc, however, I got a lot of learn'in to do about these cars/engines. Right now I dont know crap. I know lots about big honkin' V8's and V-twin motorcycles, but not much about scream'in inline 4's with all kinda electronic gadgets on 'em.

I'll be read'in a LOT ! any suggestions ? thought about the honda tuning book from sportcompactcar ? any good ?

cheers
Old 11-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Labrador

Ferris-

Great choice! I had a 2000 Civic Si from January 2001 till Dec 27, 2001 (it got stolen, and they never found it). I couldn't find another in my area so I just bought an EX.

Anyway, this car is downright fast even when bone stock. Sounds like you already have some mods on so it should be a screamer. If you're still wondering how to get those rear speakers out, you have to take the rear shelf tray off in order to access the screws that hold the speakers down. Then, simply remove the connector from the back of the speaker. The proper (service manual) method to remove the rear shelf is to remove the rear seat backs and cushion, then those two large plastic side panels, then the shelf. However, most people just fold the seat down and try to just pop the shelf out (be warned, it's a little tricky this way).

In my Si, I had an AEM cold air intake, AEM Tru-Power pulleys, AEM adjustable cam gears, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, and a Powercore high-flow cat. All of these mods netted me 21 hp to the wheels, which is definitely noticable! The car ran 15.28 in the 400 m (1/4 mile).

Have fun with your new Si (especially over 5400 r/min)!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by Labrador
In my Si, I had an AEM cold air intake, AEM Tru-Power pulleys, AEM adjustable cam gears, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, and a Powercore high-flow cat. All of these mods netted me 21 hp to the wheels, which is definitely noticable!
somehow i doubt that, but who am i to doubt :uhhok:
Old 11-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

1. you could play around with your ignition timing
2. hacksaw :dunno:
3. sway bars, strut bars, springs, shocks, so many to choose from
4. dont touch it unless you have a dyno and internals
5. :hugglez:
Old 11-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

To take the speakers out is a paaaaaiiin in the butt. I had to remove all the back panals. But I think there's an easier way, it was just the first time I was attempting it. I believe you just need to pop out the rear deck. Remove the child seat brackets, fold the seats down, you may have to pry the side panals away as well and then you can pop it up after that. Oh.. and the third break light has to be disconnected as well. I THINK that's it... good luck.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:28 PM
MPerson

Originally posted by Snoopy
somehow i doubt that, but who am i to doubt :uhhok:
Haven't you seen ebay? 10-15 hp for cheap air intakes, 15-20 hp for an exhaust and those stickers they come with it is easily like 5, maybe 6 hp if you have the APC one.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Smurf
Dancing Banana Driver

Learn how to drive a Honda, Drive it like you stole it.