Notices

storage tips

Old 11-05-2003, 04:09 PM
onebadassdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storage tips

alright, so this is my first winter i'm gonna be storing my car. any do's and don'ts?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Civic2Scooby

take out the battery and store it inside somewhere on a shelf...dont take it out and leave it on the ground or somewhere cold cause it can **** it up.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say keep a trickle charger on your battery, or by the time you want to start it up again, it will be dead.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 11-05-2003, 08:20 PM
civicsleeper

first of all wash it inside n out then what i do is run it once a week for 30 min or so just to charge the battery.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by civicsleeper
first of all wash it inside n out then what i do is run it once a week for 30 min or so just to charge the battery.
I'm about to store mine for winter. What I do is throw it on jack stands so the brakes can't seize up, start it every couple days and let it run til warm idle (fan kicks on), spin the wheels to make sure the pads don't rust to the rotors, and that's about it...

While it's on the stands, I'll throw it into gear, rev it to about 20mph, pop it out of gear, and then brake lightly. It helps to make sure the calipers don't seize.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Bakeoff
I'm about to store mine for winter. What I do is throw it on jack stands so the brakes can't seize up, start it every couple days and let it run til warm idle (fan kicks on), spin the wheels to make sure the pads don't rust to the rotors, and that's about it...

While it's on the stands, I'll throw it into gear, rev it to about 20mph, pop it out of gear, and then brake lightly. It helps to make sure the calipers don't seize.
Yeap, that's pretty much it.

Definitely wash it and have it under a car cover also.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 11-06-2003, 07:59 AM
onebadassdx

its gonna be in my garage, why the car cover? i know i know stupid question
Old 11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Keep dust off and maybe even save it from some scratches. Consider cracking a window under a cover and a little dish full of baking soda will absorb some of the mositure and contain any smells. If you remove the battery, put it on a block of wood, not just on concrete or it will drain itself. Changing the oil before you store it just in case. Starting it up and maybe driving it on nice days won't hurt. I never understood storing a car for the winter though, just be careful with itl

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:39 AM
onebadassdx

thanks for all the help...the only reason i'm storing it is cause its way too low and getting stuck in freezing michigan winters is gonna suck.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:29 PM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

I don't live where we need to store our cars in the winter but I did read an article about storing your car when it's not in use for a long time. One thing that stands out in my memory besides what's already been said was to put some auto wax on all of your gaskets and such that line your doors, trunk, windows, etc. this keeps them from sticking up or tearing when you finally pop open a door or roll a window down in spring when your ready to start driving it again.

I've seen special additives for your oil and gas that your supposed to use when storing a car or boat. A lot of people down here use it for their boats when they're being stored. I don't have a boat and never have stored my car so I can't remember what it's called but I'm sure you could find in an auto parts store.