Notices

My 98 honda civic bit failed to get me to work today. A little sputter then died

Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 98 honda civic bit failed to get me to work today. A little sputter then died

My 98 honda civic failed to get me to work today.. I noticed it had sputtered a few days ago when I was trying to accelerate in 2nd gear. But it went away and car sounded fine after that day and drove fine. Well I used it to work yesterday and no symptoms nor problems. When I got in to go to work today it was fine until I was trying to increase speed. I got up to 55 mph and car began to sputter and thought I was going to be in for a bull ride.. Sooo car would not pick up more than 55 so I dropped it to 4th gear and no change in speed nor rpms. Speed came down to about 40 mph then car battery light came on and I coasted to the side of the road where she lies right now.. What could have caused this? I did happen to look and see when I last replaced spark plugs and fuel filter and they were 20,000 miles ago.. Believe the spark plugs should last longer than this. Any ideas? Car will crank but will not start.. Fuel is about 1/4 tank.. I never run it empty though.. I have had this car for about 8 years and hate to let her go but wife doesnt like hearing the trouble so if I cant fix her I will have to say R.I.P. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.. 165,000 miles on vehicle..