Notices

body kit question

Old 10-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Jan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body kit question

i can either get a Urethane body kit or Fiber Glass,whats better and price difference as well ... also

a friend suggested Buddy Club body kit,there is a store where he goes where supposedly they can give him a deal on it so i wanted to know what are usual costs for this and if its a good body kit to be looking forward to as well which type of material.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:15 PM
AwB17x
Banned

ima be the 1st to tell u.. every one here will bash u for getting a kit.... save the money for the motor... or some thing eles.... body kits =rice dude... stock look always better...
Old 10-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

fiberglass is lighter but more prone to crack but easy to repair. urethane is more durable, yet more expensive, and sags over time. i had a high quality fiberglass kit once, let me tell u, it is hard to keep it perfect, cuz u cant. rock chips crack it, slight hits cracks and what not. urethane is kewl but is also heavy and very hard to paint if the shop doesnt put a special flexing agent into the paint.

both sides weight each other out. with the money u spend on the kit and paintin, you could be doin better things with ur car else where. go look in the appearence forum to get a few ideas before deciding to pick a kit up.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:30 AM
Paulll
Hail Bent

Originally posted by AwB17x
ima be the 1st to tell u.. every one here will bash u for getting a kit.... save the money for the motor... or some thing eles.... body kits =rice dude... stock look always better...
your wrong...

C West body kits are better than stock
Old 10-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Jan

3 replys is good anyone else mind commenting....
Old 10-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Smurf
Dancing Banana Driver

Dont know what you drive, Mugen kit maybe?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:28 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally posted by Outxider
fiberglass is lighter but more prone to crack but easy to repair. urethane is more durable, yet more expensive, and sags over time. i had a high quality fiberglass kit once, let me tell u, it is hard to keep it perfect, cuz u cant. rock chips crack it, slight hits cracks and what not. urethane is kewl but is also heavy and very hard to paint if the shop doesnt put a special flexing agent into the paint.

both sides weight each other out. with the money u spend on the kit and paintin, you could be doin better things with ur car else where. go look in the appearence forum to get a few ideas before deciding to pick a kit up.
I agree with this whole heartedly. I myself have a buddy club kit (fiberglass) and it's really hard to maintain, especially on a daily driver. Plus buddy club has one of the lowest front ends compared to other bodykits.

So even though it might look good once it's on the car and painted, after a few months, it'll start looking pretty bad with chips and nicks.

I'm not telling you not to get a bodykit, I'm just telling you my personal experience with my car and what I did because I was in the same situation as you are now.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:55 AM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

my feeling in general is that body kits are useless...some add nice look to the car, but most a fugly as hell and and are ricey and played out. Its just not worth it to have one on you car daily driven to be honest with you
Old 10-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Jan

Originally posted by Smurf
Dont know what you drive, Mugen kit maybe?

i own two cars but the one thats going to have this mod is the 00 honda civic thats the little ricer car,thats good to show off i guess just for looks wise once the body kit is put in,my idea was to get the kid repaint the car chameleon color and add graphic art on the sides.I dont mind putting money into it speed wise but I see it from a different prespective.v4 is always going to be a v4,what people see in those litte F&F movies is a bit overrated for one, for two not everyday there is a honda or an eclipse that can smoke a 200,000 dollar or 500,000 car which is like a beast on the german autobonds.In addition to that before a japanese made car such as civic can even preform close to that level,it will have heavy mods done and then you look at it and then its no longer a honda,its like a hybrid car,and you have invested more then 50,000 into it when you could have just bought 67 mustang or a dodge charger for the speed.

so i do understand reality of things and how to achieve them and a few dreams,would i like to have a super duper car that some people have than can run a q/mile in 10s and in 12,or lower.Sure hell yeah but mens best friend "$$$$$$" says youre better off getting a new 2005 supercharged mustang that reaches speed of 240 hp on the road..

Nice reply thank you if you got to comment or some bashing to do on what i said,dont hesitate
Old 10-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Smurf
Dancing Banana Driver

lets see, dump 1200 in it for better stearing, and sticking to the ground, it will out do a mustang or a charger, in the turns. However i guess i cant slap a blower on it and a 200 shot of n2o and zoom down the street with 550 - 600 cubic inches of mass and have 1300 horsepower.

however, i can upgrade my head, port and polish it and balance the rotating mass, new pistons and rods, and a piced turbo, for a total of hmm, under 10k? or have what? 500 horse? not a bad idea. i paid 10k for my car, 99 civic. and umm, 10+10 is 20 so .. lets say 25k and will out do a 30k stock mustang and then some, hmm ya, ok, those lil civics do suck.