Thread: Timing belt?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2003, 05:43 AM
meddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt?

My '94 Accord started to have a rough idle a couple days ago. It didnt really sound like it was about to stall, it just wasnt as quiet and smooth running as usual. So, I leave work yesterday afternoon and head over to the mechanic to get it checked out. Im a mile from the mechanic when my car starts to really act strangely. Check engine light came on. It wouldnt take any acceleration and the idle was getting really choppy. 100 yards later she stalled and wouldnt start back up. When I would turn the ignition it would turn start to turn over, but even giving it some extra gas couldnt keep it running.

120k miles and never had the timing belt replaced......is that what it is? Ive got it at the Honda dealership right now being checked out, so I will know pretty soon what the problem is. This is my question though.

Ive heard people say that if your timing belt breaks it can really mess things up inside your engine. It can bend valves, hit pistons, etc. Is this a scam? I was stuck driving my moms car since mine was dead and she had the radio on NPR. 'Click and Clack' were on and someone actually asked about this. They said that a timing belt would never mess anything up, and that when it breaks the car just stops running like mine did, no damage done.

So whats the truth? I refuse to get scammed by my dealership!

Please only respond if you really know what you are talking about. I dont need anymore of 'well ive heard that this can happen' or 'I think that timing belts....' .

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post
Richard