View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 09:15 AM
DakarM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by import-tooner
We have talked to people in utah that have done it and it isn't hard.

but you still have to meet all the federal emissions requirements as well as NHTSA safety requirements.

I was looking into importing a Lotus Elise in from the UK and it would have cost me over 8K just to make the car remotely close to meeting he federal safety standard.

Only licensed Registered Importers are allowed to make the modifications and they charge an arm and a leg.

"Motor vehicles not more than 25 years old must conform to the DOT motor vehicle safety standards that were in effect when these vehicles were manufactured. Passenger cars manufactured after September 1, 1973 must also meet bumper standards. The importer must file form DOT HS-7 at the time of entry, indicating whether the vehicle conforms to applicable safety and bumper standards. The original manufacturer is required to affix a label to the vehicle certifying that these standards have been met if the vehicle is intended for sale in the United States. Vehicles that do not bear a certification label attached by the original manufacturer must be entered as a nonconforming vehicle under a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This is in addition to the regular Customs entry bond."
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.