Old 12-30-2002, 02:05 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, why the hell does this form have a bloody reset button? I'll let you imagine why I ask.

98CoupeV6 - You bring up some good points. Honda undoubtedly gives special attention to their bread and butter models (Civic, Accord and now the TL). This is what makes these cars top of class, or in close competition with top of class. So yes, it would definitely make sense for a remodel of the TL if market share is being lost to newcomers like the G35 and updated competitors like the ES300 as you mentioned.

If the new Accord is any indication, a remodelled TL would be very similar to the current generation. The changes in the Accord were more like modifications than overhauls; not by any means to say insignificant, however. The basic setup of the car, the chassis, the engine block, and the suspension setup, has not been changed. The engine has been tweaked with a new intake, iVTEC, and has been strengthened for another 500 rpm to redline. But it's still pretty much the same J30. Other changes in the car have been amenities, and overall size (and subsequently space). So speculatively I would imagine the new TL would be very much the current TL with similar changes. More power, more space, more luxury. I would bet the current J32 block would be used again, and Honda will probably introduce class-leading power output. Using iVTEC, I can see the engine producing over 260 horses, perhaps something in the 280 range.

As for the RL, it may not sell much, but it still makes an image for the company. As the so-called flagship it indicates Acura is not quite with it, which couldn't be further from the truth. TL owners need something greater to aspire to than the current RL. I occasionally flip through old car mags and read tales of a 4.0 L V8 AWD RL. Fallacy of course, but we're all allowed to dream.