Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LABARINTH
I read somewhere that it is better for you overall credit if you use and pay off a very small portion of your total credit. So if you have one credit card with a low limit (say $1,000) and you put $500 on it every month and pay it off you are using 50% of your credit every month. But if you have 2 credit cards each with a $5,000 credit limit, one for emergencies that is never used, and put the same $500 on the other every month than you are only using 5% of you total credit. Apparently the second scenario is much better for your overall credit. I have a second credit card that I never use and I was about to cancel it until I read this. I know this has nothing to do with the car but it is just some food for thought as you try to rebuild.
Never cancel a credit card, it negatively impacts your credit score. Cut it up or lock it in your safe just in case but do not cancel it unless you are ok with taking that hit.
Not sure how much impact it has but I have seen this come up in multiple credit discussions with details to back it up.