View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Civic2Scooby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
I just thought I'd get HAN's input on the possibilities here. I know I've posted a similar thread in the past, but the options have changed a bit since then.

The civic should be up and running in a couple weeks, and I've been thinking about what would be the best way to trim my stable down to two cars. My criteria are as follows. I need a capable camping vehicle (i.e. 4x4 and locked, doesn't have to be gonzo) and a "sporty" car for commuting and autox. One of those two vehicles must hold a few friends comfortably and not be a total embarrasment, and I'm kinda sick of the infiniti anyway.

So as I see it, I have two options:

1) Sell the Infiniti and the shitbucket and get a 96+ 4runner. Use the civic for general commuting, use the 4 Runner for clients/camping/whenever I need a larger car. Benefits: the civic should get pretty good mpg's with the B20, the newer 4runner would seat me and 4 friends, so fewer vehicles would be needed on camping trips, and I wouldn't shy away from long trips where highway driving is required. Drawbacks: The civic isn't exactly the most pleasant commuter, and the longer I have it, the more money I'll blow on it

2) Sell the Infiniti and the Civic, get a WRX for a fun/commuter car. Keep the shitbucket for camping/wheeling. Benefits: I think I would be satisfied autocrossing a mostly stock WRX, and it would be a way better DD than the infiniti or the civic, and a good snowboarding car, worry-free wheeling in the shitbucket. Drawbacks: the shitbucket doesn't go on the highway very well, and can only carry one passenger, wrx would definitely get worse mpg's and require better fuel than the civic.

I'm sure I only want 2 cars, so I just need to figure out the best way to go about it. I would be looking to spend less than $10k for a 4Runner and less than $12k on a Subaru.
you won't find a WRX worth dick piddly for less than 14k It will be high miles after that, and then you are looking at rapidly oncoming upkeep costs. I say the option 1 is the best bet.