View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^exactly. If you have a dealership nearby, no reason (unless they are seriously price-gouging) not to get the oem fluid, as the price of aftermarket, the "for Honda/Acura" types, are normally about the same cost.

OEM Honda P/S fluid, as well as some of those aftermarket "for Honda" fluids will condition and maybe slightly swell the seals in the P/S system anyway, so normally you'll notice a leak might slow a bit with OEM fluid as opposed to even a "for Honda/Acura" aftermarket.

I currently have an aftermarket "for Honda" fluid in my system(long way from a dealership). I don't have any leaks, but replaced the old fluid b/c it appeared to have water in it (loud noises w/ no assist in cold weather). Noise went away, but the assist is the same or even slightly worse compared with the ~14yr. old OEM fluid that was in there.

Adding a stop-leak product, as long as what is in the system is still predominantly OEM Honda fluid, might not be a bad idea in the short term, but I'd agree that there are potential risks that could be more costly in the future. Keep in mind that even a product that says "good for all makes" etc. usually isn't meant for a Honda P/S system, and quite frankly, just being able to be used in a non-Honda P/S system pretty much guarantees that you wouldn't want to have that in your Honda/Acura for very long as it will at least reduce the life of seals if not mechanical components.

Only place I'm aware of to get OEM Honda fluids besides ebay (horrible shipping costs) is partsgeek.com, same price as what you'll get at a dealership (maybe slightly less) with a flat shipping rate of $6.50 for your order. I came across them while trying to find some Genuine Honda MTF online, gonna get a few bottles of P/S with my order as well.

Last edited by A-series; 08-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.