Thread: EGR tube kit
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srikid
Based on your responses, Im gonna assume that I do not need to purchase the kit or drill anything.

So I guess I will just follow the directions on the service bulletin to get to the intake manifold and find the clog and just clean it out myself with Q-tips and carb cleaner? Will that be enought to correct the problem and clear the CEL?

About how long will this take me?(Please remember that I have never done this but I am not a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff)
Do I need any special tools?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciated it. I refuse to take it to the dealer to charge me $300 for something I can fix for like $20.
It's extremely easy to fix. I did it when I was 18 and had never done anything like it before. Just follow the directions. Remember to get new throttle body gaskets and whatever other gaskets it said to replace.

It probably took me 3-4 hours to do, but I thoroughly cleaned my throttle body and intake manifold when I did it. The second time I did it (just for preventative maintenance) was about 60-70k miles later and it wasn't even clogged at all. That took me not even an hour.

Trust me, when you take off the intake manifold you'll see it. It's the port completely clogged with carbon deposits. Remember to also clean the port in the intake manifold that it mates with.

As far as the CEL, you may also need to replace the EGR valve, which is about $150. But you'll know for sure after you clean out the ports.