View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 01:12 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusis350
Is it me or are Diesel prices still high? Would driving a diesel car actually save u money. I know the fuel economy is much better than regular gas, but would u save money?

Also are they now clean for the environment?
There are cleaner solutions for diesels now than there were just a few years ago. Daimler Chrysler has their urea-injection catalyst; Honda has a plasma-reduction catalyst that curb NOX and CO emissions.

As far as operating costs go, that depends on the real-world mileage and the price premium for diesel in your area. Down at my local gas station, they're charging 20˘/gal extra for diesel. Considering that most diesel passenger cars get somewhere between 25% - 30% better gas mileage, it still works out in the long run.

But as far as Subaru is concerned, this motor is destined for the European markets... so it's anyone's guess as to how it fares against petrol on a cost-per-mile basis. Displacement plays a big role in that calculation; my bet is that that the diesel boxer will be kept under 2 litres in displacement.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!