View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 04:51 AM
primetime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toy Civic
FYI,

I am currently running a GSR motor. But it is an old one and will need a rebuild soon. So since I will be investing money, that's why I was seeing if an LS rotating assembly was a way to go. I know that a VTEC head and LS block are often mated together, but they were never meant to be mated together. I've heard too many horror stories of LS Blocks and VTEC heads causing blown head gaskets, oil leaks, compression problems, yadda yadda yadda. I figure, build an LS VTEC correctly with a B18C1 outer shell........so to speak, with the LS rotating assembly. The head will bolt on perfectly and no oil lines or conversion kits necessary.

Again the car is a street car that will not be fully raced. Is the extra torque (2mm more stroke) worth the changeover to LS rotating internals? Also would I need to go with LS pistons or stick to GSR pistons? My common sense tells me that I can stick to GSR pistons due to the same block deck height between a B18C and B18B............unless I'm wrong.

When I choose pistons, are forged pistons absolutely necessary for mild upgrades or mild boost? OEM motors and internals have always seemed to do just fine with mild upgrades.
i'm actually in the process of building this set-up! i have an ls/vtec in my car now and fortunantly the only problem i've had is a slow oil leak, and that is one of the reasons why i'm swapping an ls crank and rod into a gsr block! the other reasons is because i no longer want the external oil lines and people think i by looking that i have a stock gsr!! i would suggest that you tune with hondata s300 and get a 12lbs flywheel just to offset the extra weight that the ls crank has. the 12lbs flywheel won't cause you to lose torque but if you go any lighter then torque loss will become an issue!