View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 91oct A MUST?

A little while ago i was posting on here, like i rarely do anymore, and was told that i was stupid and didnt know what i was talking about. at the bottom of this thread. I was on s2ki today and found some interesting information on that particular subject. go to the middle on the thread. Here are some post on that subject in case some of you dont feel like reading the thread.

I've been running my car on reg 87 octane for over 100,000 miles. Don't buy into that have to run premium gas story.

Guys, your OK to run a tank of 87, 89 octaine if needed. Running lower octain fuel will not damage or hurt your engine. These engines have knock sensors that will detect detonation or knock/pinging and will instantly retard timing to compensate. The end result is a slight reduction on power, and increased fuel consumption. Dont get too anal if you accidently put 87/89 octaine it wont hurt anything. Ex. 1a-race's Comment

Good article Tugz. That's the plain truth whether people want to believe it or not. Running regular gas (87) is not harmful at 11:1 NA compression. Now drop 1 bar of boost on that and you could have issues (1 bar is one atmosphere of pressure, about 12 psi depending on where you live). On a stock S2000 running regular 87 octane probably wouldn't show on a dyno and appear as normal variation. The ECU will map back the timing if it detects knock (that's IF not when). So long as the ECU can ratchet back the timing enough to compensate (and it can) there is no problems with it. It's not cleaner, more environmentally friendly, fuel efficient or anything of the sort; it's gas.

No i dont want a cookie or an apology. I just want some of the members on this board to quit jumping to conclusions on information that YOU dont have any idea about.