View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
mberndt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynxx
Not to sound rude or confrontational here, but what you need to realize is that a head gasket doesn't just blow-out in a large section all at once... especially with newer vehicles (partly due to the primarily-metallic...
First, no offense taken, I don't see your response as confrontational...

I already do understand that head gaskets do not "blow" out all at once, and yes, it is not as common to see head gasket failures with metallic head gaskets, as opposed to graphite ones, primarily because of the TENSION strength of the steel is much greater than graphite, making it harder to "blow" out... (materials science) Not to mention the steel has fatigue and ductile properties, and graphite does not...

Considering I've seen both the "blow" out type of head gasket failure, and the slight- leak type of failure, I can honestly say, that if there is ANY, I mean ANY coolant entering the combustion chamber, there will most likely be copious amounts of smoke... This is why I say it would be hard, if not impossible to mis-daignose a blown head gasket... Either failure introduces coolant to the combustion chamber, and coolant only burns white... 1+1=2

I understand you are arguing that a miniscule leak will not necessarily look like a "blown head gasket"... But to a trained eye, in this case a certified mechanic, it should be obvious... Besides, there are other tests to determine if there is a head gasket leak, aka leak down test... That is what I'm saying...

And, your comment about the water pump? My old car DID overheat at idle and while stuck in traffic, the only time the temp would come back down was after a quick revving or downshift... That's why I said it could be the water pump...

P.S. I know your not acting like an a$$, it's just an argument... No hard feelings...