Thread: Is It Worth It
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Brew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don’t know how old you are but it’s probably easier to take it up when you’re younger as long as you don’t pull stupid stunts like young people seem to like to do once in a while.
If you are a good rider the main thing you want to be aware of are idiot drivers of the auto persuasion. Sometimes they will not see you because they are not looking for motorcyclists; they are looking for other cars. They’ll try to turn left in front of you try to merge into you, pull out from stops in to you so you need to be very defensive. I would also recommend taking some motorcycle classes if you are a noob. They’ll teach you panic stopping and evasive maneuvers.
I will tell you this and some people will say I’m wrong and depending on what type of bike you get I may be Buuuuuut. Get used to panic stopping with only your front brake. If you get used to using your rear break every time you stop you’re going to use it in a panic situation and end up skidding and hitting what you’re trying to avoid. I used to practice all the time seeing how fast I could stop by sliding my weight as far back as possible and grabbing the front brake. Sometimes I could even get the front wheel to skid and then just backed off from there. When I took Keith Codes superbike school they had spotters around the track that you flag you in if they saw you on the rear brake.
They also teach you counter steering and other techniques.

I gave it up when I had kids but plan to take it back up once school and college are done with. It’s a lot of fun but you really have to pay attention to everything around you.