Thread: Big Brake Kit
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 10:13 PM
bubbrubb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the kit installed....kinda... I had this dude install them for 60 bucks (gotta love a crack head!) And when he was taking off my front left wheel one of the lug nuts got stripped (fuckin crack heads!). And the results are really good-- on the right side wheel where he got the Big Brake kit power slotted thermal rotors and Green stuff brake pads. At first i didnt really notice a big difference, actually it felt like the brakes didnt work as good. But it was actually because i had to pump the brakes a little bit to get the fluids back in the caliper, plus the green stuff pads had some kinda break-in compound on the surface and those had to be burn off before the brakes got good contact. So i read the Power slot (rotor) manual and it says that you should get on a open road and get up to 40mph and brake a couple of times to break-in the rotor/pads. So i did that and after the compound was burned off they worked great! I actually have to hold the steering wheel pretty hard to keep the car straight because it pulls so hard on the Big brake side. I havent tested them on a high speed brake yet, but im pretty sure that it can handle it. So my review goes as follow:
Pros:
Great braking power after break-in, looks pretty good, and when the guy installed them, it looked pretty easy to do. If i can get the stripped lug nut off my other wheel i will install the left side by myself.

Pads:I know this is pretty much about the rotors, but i want to throw in the pros of the pads because youll have to buy some high performance ones too and i belive that they are just as important as the rotors and performed just as well. They are VERY low dust generators. Absolutely no sound while braking with them, and after break-in period they are an absolute improvement over stock. They are pretty much race pads, but you dont have to get them to extreme tempatures for them to work well. Plus if they do get hot they will work about 25%-30% over the tempature that the stock ones get mushy at.

Cons: Price is kinda steep unless you search the internet for a while before buying (got mines for $405 plus shipping) Have to have high performance pads which = even more money. No color options besides black. You have to bend your dirt blocking plate behind the rotor to install the rotor. The manual warns you not to tap on the brake, and some people might be use to that-- I think if you do it will warp the rotors and your pads, and of course paying this much for rotors you dont want to ruin them.

Pads: They're really green, and absolutely ugly as hell. There is no way to hide them because they only fit one way and cannot be painted. They hang over the caliper a little bit (i think its because of the way the rotors have to be spaced to fit on the rotor, the manual warns about hang over and they didnt lie!)

So all-in-all, i think its a great purchase if you plan on driving fast and need to make a lot of sudden stops, and if you have an abs car (like all of us do) its safe, and brakes extremely well. I know i have a lot of cons, but i try to be as honest as i can about what i think about a product, and dispite the cons, the few pros i have out weigh them by leaps and bounds and i really recommend this product for anyone that needs more brake power. ie anyone that goes auto-crossing or has a turboed system, or a stuff in there car that makes it heavy (really big speaks/amps/fat ass) and needs to break fast for long. Other wise i would say dont go for the big brake kit, you could get the smaller version and save about 250 bucks and pretty much have the same brake performance-- goddamn that was long, sorry for anyone that actually read the whole thing!

--Bubbrubb
Woo Woo, its for decoration!