Thread: Flywheels
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
SupremeDalek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally? I'd bypass the worry and buy a JUN or a TODA flywheel. I've seen Fidanzas and other aluminum flywheels fail in many ways: Warp from heat, mounting holes will wallow out, mounting surface where it mates to the crank will score and chew itself up. Also, good luck actually getting the plates off after you've had it in the car a good while.

If you absolutely do want one though, at least buy the Fidanza. XTD is some serious Taiwan/Chinese poop right up there with OBX. Even their supposedly "chromoly" flywheels I would avoid.

Not to be a smartass, but a flywheel on any car is much more than just "a piece of metal", especially in racing/performance applications. All the power of your engine is being transferred by that flywheel which is spinning at engine RPM. A shoddy flywheel will either let you down performance wise or worse, explode.

Get a good piece from TODA and you'll never wear it out. Any machine shop can resurface it. It has thickness plenty for the life of your car unless you're setting something up seriously wrong... You'll also never have to worry about it.