Old 09-19-2002, 11:26 AM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ochdx

Well, if you're familiar with civic coupes (92-95), you know that front speakers are mounted in the door panels all the way on the bottom, while the rear speakers are mounted on the rear deck, on about the ear level. what happens is, the tweeter in the front speakers being on the bottom is not heard as well as the one on the rear speakers, and while the overall quality is great, it appears like the sound if coming from the rear. To my knowledge bass is non direction, and its the tweets that make the difference, so i was thinking about installing a pair of tweets on the side mirror panels, like most luxury cars have, I think it would create a nice balance.
I think that you have some mis-conceptions about how sound works in a car, which is part of the problem with your setup.

A tutorial section written by Steve Head (audionutz) who is highly respected. Those articles will give you a better idea of what imaging and staging really are, and some ways that they are achieved in a car.

To sum up what he says, anything down to 150Hz is very localizable...meaning the position of drivers that play those frequencies are very important. this means both the mid and tweeter on those co-axes

Any one who says that bass isn't localizable has never heard a car with a sub in the dash...it's truely amazing. You can use a rear mounted sub and still get "up-front bass" but it's more difficult, and takes a lot of tuning.

Listen to arch....if you really want to get staging and imaging from your current setup, take the speakers you have in the front doors and put them in kick panels...this will do a ton of good things for you. Adding tweeters up high will not fix your imaging problem (alot of which has to do with the fact that you have rear speakers)

Stock locations are no good (no matter what the location) to get a good image from your speakers.