View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 01:33 PM
CoryB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross alignment specs and other ?

I've searched around but haven't found what I'm looking for.

My son has a daily driver '98 Civic EX 4-door and wants to start autocrossing it but it's still going to be his daily ride. I know it's not the greatest autocross car but it's what he has and he likes to be different .

<prouddadmode> FWIW, he took an autocross class recently and knocked 15 (yep, fifteen) seconds off between his baseline run and his first run after practicing. </prouddadmode>

Anyway as the car has 120K miles on it and we were going to be redoing the suspension anyway, we're upgrading a few of the parts.

KYB AGX struts/shocks
Neuspeed Sport springs
Skunk2 camber kit (Of course now I'm reading mixed results of this after I ordered it :eh: )
Maybe some Falken Azenis RT-615 tires for next season. He's running 205/40-17 Fuzion HRi tires right now but we may get a set of dedicated autocross tires to share.

So now my questions:

1. Upper Control Arm Bushings - I'll likely go with poly unless it's a bad idea. Any real point in this if I don't replace the others with poly? Which leads to #2...

2. Keeping in mind that this is his only car, should he go for poly bushings throughout? He won't mind a bumpy ride but I don't want it to be so harsh that his girlfriend squawks about it.

3. What kind of alignment specs should it get? Again, this is on the street 99.9% of the time and I don't want to have it eating tires. I'm thinking 0 to 1/16" toe-in and 2 degrees negative camber on the front. Is that tire-safe? I have no idea of where to set the rear. Advice?

Thanks for any help/ideas on this.