Old 11-21-2005, 09:54 PM
stemyluv69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI- the majority of impact wrenchs/guns are rated at their tightening torque. take a gun that is rated at 300ft lbs. put it on setting 2 (about 100 foot lbs) and take it to your pulley bolt. whale on it for 5-10 seconds, then put the gun in reverse. MORE THAN LIKELY it wont come off
Also, the gun cant reach its potential if you dont have a big enough compressor. At the shop, theres no problems getting these bolts off... BUT if you only have a 5 gallon compressor, your not using the guns full potential, even if its a full 1" gun at 1,000 ft lbs. Not enough air for it....

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
easier said than done. I have the helm manual for the car so I know how much to tighten it. Also, the manual speaks nothing of this tool.

Let's think about this...It's already fairly obvious that some people have this bolt on tighter than others - The question is, how much tighter? The impact wrench should be able to take the bolt out. I removed the slack out of the pully and tranny. The pully wasn't giving at all with the impact of the 550 ft/lb impact gun, so it is safe to say this bolt needed 550+ ft/lb of torque to remove it. I was breaking tools with around 400 ft/lbs. Even with the holder handle, I would still need to use the breaker bar and hand tools. I would say there is a good chance I would break something else even with the holder handle...