Old 11-20-2005, 05:25 PM
jnosacka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure which tool is needed for each engine, but I just removed the bolt on a 92 Accord.

Honda makes a tool that has a hex head which fits in the crankshaft pulley, with a hole in the middle that you can fit the required 19" socket. But, I refused to wait for the dealer parts department to open M-F and I'm too cheap to spend the $50 bucks. So, I went to Lowes and got a 1.5" X 2" galvanized coupling and a 1.5" X 1" galvanized bushing. The bushing has a hex head that was slightly too big. I used an angle grinder to shave it down and each side. I needed the coupling to give me enough length to get past the pulley. I then used a 12" pipe wrench on this with a brick wedged under it. I had to turn the pulley with my breaker bar to get tension on this as it didn't fit tightly. Initially, the only progress I was making was continuing to tighten the bushing/coupling joint and moving the engine around on its mounts, but eventually the bushing bottoms out and the torque starts to apply to the bolt. My friend gave me the next idea.

I couldn't figure out how to get a long cheater on the breaker bar as my engine was still in the car and the car was on a jack. Here, my friend got me to add to my 19mm, 1/2" drive socket, 10" and 6" extensions (16" total). I supported this with a jack stand at the outer end. I attached my 18" breaker bar to this and a 4' cheater pipe. I next put all my weight on the pipe and in a few seconds I heard that beautiful snap of the bolt breaking loose. This had been a 2 day ordeal, banging on it with a sledge, heating it, impact wrench. Once I got the right leverage, it just popped out.