Thread: Cheap Speed
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Jimax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
:stupid:

actually changing the internals on an N/A car is the ONLY way your are going to see gains...look at any built N/A motor worth a damn and it is running 12:1 compression or more...wilder cams such as skunk2 stage 3s recommend a boost in compression for the cam to give the most gains....and as far as your comment earlier about not being able to up compression without changing the displacement of the motor, that is plian ignorance.
Do you understand what compression is made of? It's the volume of air that is being compressed in the bore and stroke of the cylinder. The bore is Xmm in diameter and the stroke is Xmm in length. That area = the amount of air/fuel that can be injected into the combustion chamber. Unless you bore out the motor or change the stroke, you will not change your compression ratio, even with forged internals. Changing the type of metal does not add compression. If the bore and stroke are fixed, how do you expect to increase compression? The same volume of air will compress the same amount.

Like I said earlier, if you go really complex (change dome on piston head), valves, cams, lifters, etc...sure yes that's feasible. But it's not a viable alternative. It's not a cheap one, nor is it an easy one. How much fuel do you need? How many PSIs does the fuel system have to be at? Are the fuel injectors up to the task? What about the timing advance/retard, how about how long the valves open up, or how far they open? Do they risk smacking the top of the piston since you changed them out? Can the MAF handle the additional air flow, and can the ECU compensate accordingly.

I am not speaking from ignorance, I am speaking from reality. Changing the internals is not a good solution to make more, cheap power. Adding a turbo or a S/C is, period. Changing the internals should only happen after you've converted your engine to F/I. There is absolutely no amount of intake/exhaust modding you could do that would damage a stock block if you don't go F/I. Telling someone to change internals and keeping the car N/A is ignorant.