View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:01 PM
skip259

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, you'd be better off with an amp that's rated higher. Look for the RMS rating and the peak rating. You'll want an amp that is rated at 1.5 times the power of the RMS ratings. If you used a lower powered amp, and try to push it to the limits to achieve the specs of your speaker, then chances are, you'll blow them.

now, to add fuel to a fire that's already brewing here, you always want to OVERPOWER your speakers. reason for this - using a bigger amp, getting CLEANER sound to your speakers is always better than trying to get the max output from your amp in trying to get higher spl. Running a clipped signal is NOT what you want to do. That's a sinewave and it's a surefire way to kill your system - hence user error.

Here's a brief description of my DJ rig - folded horn subs, 750 rms, 1500 peak. I'm using a QSC PLX 3402 amp in bridged mode, pushing out 3400 watts. I did a party last weekend, pushed those things to the max, had plenty of headroom, had a good clean signal. Did they burn out? naw. They worked perfectly.

My infinities in my car, 85 watts rms, 150 peak. my amp is a 4 channel amp, 139 watts per channel, and a seperate mono-block amp for my sub. everyhting is overpowered, and runs like a champ.

need i say more?