Old 09-03-2005, 08:54 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Idea Circus" in my head is on parade

Ok, I've been doing some research and just can't seem to decide.

I plan on doing a B-series swap down the road in my '89 CRX Si. I will be boosting this motor FYI. Here are the two swaps I have in mind...

1) B18C1 (GSR)
2) LS/VTEC (B16 head w/ GSR internals)

In regards to option #1
From what I've gathered an OBD1 (94-95) GSR motor would be a better motor to turbo than a Type-R motor. The compression ratio of the GSR (9.98:1) would be better suited than the CR of the Type-R (10.8:1).

I have been told that high CR and turbo can coexist, but I'm not sure if it could be made street legal; that info came from a friend who has worked on race motors. I guess it could work with proper tuning, and if that is the case I find option #2 appealing.

Now, regarding option #2
Thanks to Snoopy for that link to the CR calculator. I've been playing with it a little bit and here are two setups I find appealing. B18A1 block, B16 head, GSR internals, and bored from 81mm to 85mm giving 1979cc of displacement. This yeilds(theoretically) an 11.14:1 CR. I increased the bore size to improve top end power and reducing the oversquare design: stroke larger than bore. Well, why not just go with the B20 block, B16 head, and GSR internals. By increasing the stock bore of 84mm to 88mm, keeping the 87.2mm stroke, and thus create a slightly undersquared design, the CR would be(theoretically) 11.79:1 and 2121cc of displacement.

My goals are reliable, streetable, lots-o-power, and only enough torque that I'm not losing traction everywhere I go.

I'd like to hear some feedback on what I'm considering for my swap. Don't ask what my budget is; think as if $$$ was not an issue here. Thanks in advance.