View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:58 AM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to warn people about something. The way Honda designed the rear suspension on the 6th gen (and 5th gen) puts stress on the main rubber bushing in the rear trailing arm. (See picture with yellow circle... that's the main rear trailing arm bushing).

This bushing was set in the trailing arm assuming STOCK height. When you lower the car, the trailing arm must rotate a bit for the shorter height which stresses this bushing. From the bushing's perspective, it thinks that the stock spring is compressed to your new height. So, when the rest of the suspension with your lowered spring is at rest, this bushing is stressed. Obviously the lower you go, the more stress it has.

I have 106k miles on my car with stock bushings andwith 16k miles on my 0.75" drop, my bushings are starting to rip. These bushings are responsible for rear stability so you should check yours. If you had the bushings re-set for your new ride height (and NO ONE does this unless you specifically ask for it) or replaced with urethane bushings then you probably won't have to worry about this.

This bushing is the reason it's hard to get the bolts to line up.