Old 06-16-2005, 05:38 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: How to paint your own wing/spoiler! (spraycan)

How to paint your own spoiler/wing with spraypaint!

This method can be applied to bumpers and body panels as well [DO AT YOUR OWN RISK]

Materials needed:

• 320 Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• 400 Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• 600 Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• 1200+ Grit wet/dry sandpaper
• Sanding block
• Masking Tape (painting masking tape recommended)

• Primer in spraycan (opposite color of color used)
• Color Paint in spraycan
• Clear Coat in spraycan

Ideal conditions will be about 65-85 degrees with about 50% humidity. Make sure you have adequate ventilation and respiration protection before doing any sanding or painting.

Amount of paint depends on size of can or size of object being painted. A typical normal sized lip spoiler will require about 1 full regular size can. Bumpers will require about 2 full cans.

DAY ONE -- Preparation and Primer

You first want to clean the surface of the object you are painting. Light detergent and water will do fine. Make sure you rinse and dry well. If you already have paint on the surface, you'll need to use the 320 GRIT sandpaper to prepare the surface. Sand with the sanding block using the criss cross method [sand left to right, alternate sanding up to down, repeat] What you want to a dull smooth surface. Once the surface is ready, you are ready for the primer coat.

My subject was previously painted. Using 320 GRIT, I sanded down to the surface using the criss cross method.

Next step...first primer coat.

Making sure your surface is clean and dry of any residue and dust, mask off any parts that do not need to be painted.

Read and follow all directions on the can before painting. You want to spray a very light first coat on the first pass.

After first pass, follow directions on can on when to add additional coats. Usually most paints say 5-10 minutes b/t coats depending on brand. Keep adding light coats until you cover the object you are painting with an even coat of primer. I usually put about 7-8 light coats or until object has an even coat of primer that is ready for sanding. You do not want to over primer the surface.

Once you have the primer coat done, let it sit overnight to dry.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wing1.jpg (76.1 KB, 2790 views)
wing2.jpg (66.9 KB, 2691 views)
wing10.jpg (125.0 KB, 2742 views)
wing4.jpg (58.1 KB, 2670 views)
wing6.jpg (78.1 KB, 2652 views)