View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 06:29 PM
nsxtasy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001TypeR
I find it sad and ironic that most of my friends with much nicer car than mine, don't care much about servicing the car. They actually tell me that i am wasting my money when i bring it in for service.

They say that it is not necessary and that dealer rips people off. I agree that maintenance and service at acura dealer is not cheap but i am hoping that it will be worth it in the long run.
Proper maintenance is important for the reliability and longevity of ANY car, not just the ITR. If your friends are not maintaining their cars on a regular basis, they are more likely to encounter problems in the future. My local mechanic says, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later", meaning pay him now for scheduled preventive maintenance, or pay him in the future for unexpected repairs if you don't do the preventive maintenance.

That being said, there are ways to reduce the cost of the scheduled maintenance. If you enjoy working on your car and you have a place and tools to work on it, you can do the maintenance yourself. (You can buy the service manual here; it will help.) Or, ask around and find a competent independent mechanic in your area, preferably one that does a lot of service work on Honda/Acura cars. A lot of the scheduled maintenance is similar to other Honda/Acura cars and the work doesn't have to be done at a dealership. Independent mechanics are usually less expensive than dealers.

Originally Posted by 2001TypeR
about additives, i don't race my car a lot but once in a while on the track, mostly quarter mile runs, and street races sometimes, and push the car on street sometimes. So even though i don't race car a lot, wouldn't still help a bit by adding additives like the water wetter? Will it be a waste of money in my case?
I doubt that you need such products just for the dragstrip (and let's not discuss street racing, for all kinds of reasons). Here's a simple question: has your car ever overheated? If not, the stock coolant should be all you need.