Thread: SRS light
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 05:35 AM
burdgej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS light.....

I apologize for being vague... I was hoping there would be a simple answer--there rarely is.

This is what's going on.... Occassionally while driving, the ABS and SRS light would come on, first the ABS then the SRS. Usually, the radio was on and the antena would begin to retrack and or sound-like it was "skipping" and then immediately extend back to position. Power in the electrical components would typically dim or demonstrate the strain of temporay loss of juice, i.e., the A/C would be on, headlights, etc. After the power drop, the lights would occassionally go off.

I suspected that the altenator was not producing enough charge and/or the battery was not holding a charge. I had the alt. charge checked, however, charge was taken at the battery posts. The test reflected a normal charge, but definitely at the lower end of normal. Test was conducted with headlights, A/C and radio all on. I guess I should have tested at the altenator and not the battery, however, it was more readily accessible. I suspected maybe the regulator was not functioning properly, but, correct me if I'm wrong, the regulator in Teg is within the alt.... and would have to replace the alt to replace the regulator. I check the battery fluid levels, they were low. I added distilled water to the fluids and now the abs light does not come on, the radio no longer "skips" and the antena stays posted although there is still a "strain" for juice with everything on.

More commonly the SRS light comes on while I am driving for no apparent reason. If at a stop light, with the SRS light on, the brake pedal goes soft as if the brake master cylinder is failing/leaking. However, when the SRS light is not on, usually the brake pedal is firm.....

Thoughts??!?!