Old 01-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: ANTI-56k 5g Civic Gauge cluster speedometer odometer

Lately there have been a rash of questions about gauge clusters and what works from what cars. I own a 5g Civic CX hatch, and while I'm not 100% sure if all '92-'00 cars have the same cluster, I know that all 5g ('92-'95) hatches/sedans do. From what I gather in the discussions, 6g stuff is all the same, and even some CRV clusters work... but I'm not concerned with the exceptions. So... feel free to post what you know about potential donor cars and pictures of the process if it's any different for other models than what I've outlined.

The WHITE cluster shown in this DIY is from a '92 Civic VX hatchback... I pulled it myself in a junkyard for $12.

Here's how to swap the clusters without damaging your car, setting the correct mileage of your car off, or getting clusterfawked. I don't know what individual state laws apply or the legality of modifying your car in your state, so this is offered for informational purposes only.

No reason anyone should be scared of this job. It's the easiest and probably the most useful mod you can do to a civic from a driver's standpoint. If you have difficult figuring out how to put the heads back on your LegoŽ men, then maybe you shouldn't try... but for everyone else, here it goes...

I know this one below doesn't have a tach... it's the one that came with my civic... but for information purposes we'll start here (I tore my dash apart to re-do the job... to answer any questions that people might have).

These are tools. The red pick is something I use to avoid scratching plastics.

Pull the rubber trip meter button off of the face of the gauge.

6 plastic clips hold the clear plastic onto the cluster. 3 on top.

pop them loose.

3 on the bottom

pop them loose. Don't forget to pull the rubber button off the trip meter.

at this point, separate the pieces.

3 screws make electrical contact to the speedo. They also hold it in place.

Remove

these

screws. Hold the gauge in place while unscrewing the third screw.

While holding the gauge in, flip it down as shown.

...and remove the gauge. It will come out easily.

If the gels are different, you can swap them out... or change them to say what you want... whatever you'd like to do. I popped the clear part off and painted mine to match the body off my car. So what?

Here's how to take the gauge cluster out of your car. Pop the hazzard switch out. Note the position of the clips in the following pictures. There are 2 metal clips on the side of it that you won't break off.

Behind the hazzard switch, you'll find a hidden screw.

Remove the hazzard switch and un-plug it. Remove the hidden screw.

These are the only other 2 screws holding your bezel on.

Remove

these...

and pull the bezel out, working your way carefully around it... The heater vents like to fall apart, but they can be put back together if that happens.

Pull straight out on it all the way around until you have it loose. Now you need to un-plug the clock harness.

Once the clock harness is free you can move the bezel out of the way.

4 screws hold the cluster in. Remove them.

rotate the cluster as shown so you can access the 4 harness plugs

Remove all 4 plugs. Be careful not to damage them.

Now you can pull the cluster out and disconnect the 1 wire-tie clip on the back of it.

Here is a rear-view comparison. The speedometer/odometer gauges can be swapped using the exact same process on either cluster. This is how you keep your mileage accurate.

You also now have a spare set of bulbs. Replace any that need it. If you want to change the color of your illumination, you can purchase new bulb condoms at your favorite electronic supply stores or on-line.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Be sure to put the rubber button back on your trip meter... the cluster harness back in the wire-tie on the back of the cluster... the clock harness back in its holder (or the clock if you have one... I don't)... the hazzard switch harness back on the switch, and don't worry about mixing up the screws for the dash. All the screws are identical so you won't mess anything up if they go back in different places.

DISCUSS!