View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 AM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I got my H&R OE springs and KYB AGXs and installed them this weekend. The stupid front AGX rod of the strut BROKE when I put on the bolt for the end cap (it's hollow with the adjuster in it) and oil starting leaking out. Now I have to get this stupid one replaced.

Anyways, my car sat almost immediately to the 0.75" drop H&R advertised and camber on the front looks ok, but the rear is clearly negative. I'm thinking about doing the washer trick with just one washer and stock bolts (are they long enough?)

When I get the replacement strut I'll get an alignment.

My ride is still comfortable, even on crappy NorCalifornia freeways, although it's noticeably stiffer. H&R says "about 20% stiffer compared to stock" and from a general street driving feel, I'd say that's a good approximation. Since these are nonlinear springs (just like stock) you can't affix a single number to them. I describe the stocks as having a very low spring rate at the very beginning of compression (for comfort) which gives the soft rolling in the turns. The H&R's have a much more aggressive ramping up of the spring rate so only the smallest bumps are absorbed by the "softer" region. Then the H&R's quickly get into their stiffer region (not as stiff as race springs, obsviously). This does a great job of reducing the high frequency vibrations that shake your balls off. Bigger bumps, like road gaps, pot holes, and transitions are going to be felt with a small jolt of the stiffer springs. I don't think they'd be uncomfortable on a long trip, but we'll see.

My AGX's were set to the factory setting front: 2 of 4 and rear: 4 of 8. I haven't adjusted them yet.

Body roll is very noticeably reduced... the whole reason why I got this setup for this commuter.