Thread: Main relay
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 07:26 AM
IrishBrewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main relay

I've been having intermittent starting problems as of late on my 94 Integra LS (B18B1) and I'm beginning to suspect it may be a problem with the main relay.

Here are the symptoms.

1. Most of the time, the car starts right up without any problems. Once the car is started, it runs fine.

2. Once in a while the starter will crank away but the engine won't start. I let it crank for a few seconds then try again and get nothing.

3. After a while, I give up on trying to get it to start and I let it sit for a while, say about 10 minutes or so. Then I go back and try to start it and it starts right up.

4. I am getting a good spark so the plugs, distributor/cap/rotor and wires seem to be good.

From what I've read, these symptoms could be due to a problem with the main relay. I'm going to pull the main relay and test it out but it seems like it might be hard to tell if the problem is with the main relay due to the fact that it is intermittent. The tests to be performed on the main relay involve checking for continuity when certain terminals are connected to battery voltage. Any tips here?

The other thing is that when I go to look up the part online, I get multiple choices. How do I know which one to get? Will my existing main relay have an OEM part number stamped on it that I can use as a cross reference?

The only other thing I can think of to check is the fuel filter - I guess it could be that there is insufficient fuel flow to start the car but this is doubtful because there are no problems when it is running.