Thread: a/c question
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 10:03 PM
sleepyx637

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mohamed_ibrah
<--- Check my sig underneath my aviatar

I have under my belt so far: basic maintenance, Suspension & Steering, Brakes, and A/C.

If your compressor is not engaging it can be for a number of reasons:
1) Low refrigerant = not enough pressure, and a sensor detects this so it won't turn on
2) Shorted wire to compressor clutch
3) RPM sensor (safety sensor to prevent belt lock up in case the clutch seizes over and locks up)
4) Problematic cycling switch
5) Control head electrical problem

etc...list goes on

more than likely, you got a leak somewhere, you have low refrigerant, your clutch won't engage as a result of low refrigerant, the supposed "cold" air you feel, is simply vent air. A complete remanf. Nippondenso compressor (including clutch) is about $250-$300, if you look around, I buy my parts from this website and they have held up quite nicely. If they are going to open up your system to fix a leak...and they recommend changing the reciever-dryer, do it, that dessicant can only hold so much moisture from air, until it goes bad, and opening up a system, puts a serious load on there.
okay, here's the diagnosis. went to the mechanics, he pumped my car full of freon, then found that a tube had a major leak. the freon was leaking outta the tube faster then he could even pump it in. So, result is he has to order the tube for me and replace it. Cost for tube and labor: $140. sound right?