Old 02-10-2004, 09:47 PM
GO_TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
...and that's where you're wrong. The Potenzas are extremely competant in wet conditions, much more so than all seasonals. You're talking to a person that has $600 tires on in the summer...Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I know my stuff about tires, and the fact is that the Potenzas on the HPT are an extremely good value. The Yokohamas on the A-SPEC are all seasonals that have very good grip, but you'd have to be insane to drive them on roads that have more than a dusting of snow on them. High performance all seasons comrpomise snow traction for dry traction, but not to the extreme that summer tires do. I prefer two sets of tires for both seasons.

And it's a package if I want to call it a package, because it really makes no difference.
OK. Where to begin picking your little ass apart? First, you are right, you can call it a package if you want. Makes no difference to me. But you have a responsibility to be accurate when posting on a message board where potentially hundreds of people come seeking information. They are making what is going to be an important decision about there automobile. So, the distinction is; if the manufacturer doesn't classify it as a package then it is not a package. Whatever it is to you personally is not important.

Secondly, congrats on dropping 600 clams on some $hitty Goodyear tires. I'm glad you're doing your part to get us out of this recession. And you might want to double check the 'stuff' you know about tires. The Potenza RE030 that Acura installs on the TL as the high performance 'summer' tires DEALER INSTALLED OPTION ( Acura even includes the word summer for morons like you just to drive the point home that you should not drive on these tires in extreme weather conditions ) performs BEST in dry conditions and can be down right dangerous in snow or heavy rain. Below are a couple of customer comments on an online tire seller's website regarding these tires:

+ I like these tires but the only down fall is they are not that great in the snow. I would recommend people to get them but not if they get alot of snow in there area.

+ really like these tires! On dry pavement they corner like champs, and its very hard to make them squeal... Id highly recommend them to anyone who lives in California! They certainly are not for someone who would track their car or drive in lots of rain/snow!

I guess these people are all wrong, huh? And your right? Right? I know what these tires are capable of and when your dealer tells you, "Man, you better watch it in the rain with these tires", you should take their advice.

I guess you missed my point though because you're original post was correct for the most part (there's a shocker). The overall issue is that the high performance tire package (There...I called it a package. happy?) is a different tire altogether from the tire included with the A-SPEC package. The two are not one in the same.