View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Tirod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple VTEC advantage explanation...

I recently bought the 3rd issue of TPR (Tuner Performance Reports) Magazine and I love it... They explain parts of the engine and upgrades easier than anything I've read so far. Anyways, after reading this issue I had to see what was in previous issue, so I got on their site (www.tprmag.com). The feature last issue was camshafts. Of course that's not the entire magazine but from what I see, the only thing on their site from last issue. At the end of the article he explained the advantage of VTEC. Here's that explanation:

"VTEC: Powerband Optimizer

Many bad explanations of the VTEC advantage have been given in the past. The advantage is simple: VTEC allows the engine to perform as if the cams were switched to a different profile at a set rpm. The low profile can optimize idle, meet emissions and provide good bottom-end torque. The high-profile lifts the valves higher and opens the valves longer to improve power at higher rpms.

VTEC does not allow for higher peak power to be made. If a set of non-VTEC cams were ground to match the VTEC high-lobe profile the same power would be made. However, the Non-VTEC cam would not have near the performance of the VTEC cam at lower rpms. Driveability, fuel efficiency and idle quality would all suffer.

The end performance result of VTEC technology is an engine that has an incredible broad powerband." - Michael Ferrara

and there it is, thought I'd share (for archived re-direction of riceb0is) and thought I'd advertise this awesome magazine that has grown from a quarterly print to a bi-monthly print by the 3rd issue. Good Job TPR!!