Thread: Help me out
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 05:45 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me out

Originally posted by steveng
I've had one 10" sub, a 2 channel amp and a deck, and soon after i get my speakers this week, i am planning on adding one more amp(either 2 channel or a mono) and another 10". My question is
1. should i get a mono or another 2 channel?
2. can i use a mono to power 2 subs?
3. what are the pros/cons of powering subs by a mono
I heard that most mono's come with bass booster for extra bass, so this might be a goodie. as you might wonder why i wanna get a mono, cuz
1. it's cheaper than 2 channel
2. i've already had a 2 channel amp, so a mono can be a replacement of the 2 cha for the subs, if possible

so what are ur opinions?
1.)You can go either way, a 2ch would be more flexible.
2.)yes. I have a JBL Monoblock Powervalve amp pushing 2 Vega HED 12's.
3.) I can't think of a con to powering a sub w/a mono amp. It is a dedicated bass amp. Most good amps come with a bass boost, whether its mono or not. If it has a low pass filter, most of them have a selectable bass boost switch. On my JBL, its a variable contol, I love it.
The deciding factor is gonna be ohm load capability, rms power, and how much money you have to spend. Respond with the ohms of your subs, ohm load capability of the amp(s) you're thinking about getting as well as their rms and the subs power ratings too, rms and max. Also note it they are SVC or DVC, this makes all the difference in the world.