Old 10-19-2003, 06:35 PM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Suspension Trouble Shooting HELP Needed***

OK, a little off topic but I figured you guys here in autox would know suspensions better than other forums in here.

I installed new struts and springs(Tokico HP & Progress Auto Springs)

I have one strut, Passenger Front that is making clunking sounds over bumps much like a bad strut would. I've removed the wheel three times to inspect everything and nothing was loose. I removed the strut, damper fork, spring & hat and checked everything over before putting it back in.

The only thing I noticed was that the steel boot / dustcover for the strut appears to be rubbing the strut. It's not bent or anything but sits kind of cocked. While the strut was out I compressed the strut all of the way and the dust cover cleared it fine when I guided it.

When everything was installed I had the car on jack stands. I compressed the spring / placed a load on the suspension by placing a jack under the spindle / knuckle and jacking it up... I then tightened all the nuts and bolts starting at the damper fork then the pinch bolt and finally the strut tower nuts.

I've done this twice now and the thing still clunks on bumps and dips.

What could be causing this to happen with brand new struts and springs? Could it just be the steel dust cover making all that noise; should I just try using a rubber one like on the rears?
What could it be... HELP