Old 10-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't about a turbo kit, though. He wants to beef a NA D15B7, and the stock rods in that motor won't take the abuse of a turbo. You'd have to build the bottom end in order to hold the boost over time, and it won't be as inexpensive as an LS swap which would yield better results.

It would cost me over $1500 to fab everything for the turbo kit... buy an intercooler, get ignition and fuel control right, and an exhaust that could handle a turbo. Then factor in a set of rods, pistons and ARP hardware, and you're easily getting into the $3k range.

This is why I decided against turbocharging or building for a high compression NA setup.... The one on the left is a Hyundai 1.6L (4g61) rod. The one on the right is a Honda 1.5L D15B7 rod. They're both forged rods. The construction process for these is almost identical except for one major factor. The Honda rod is made of about half the material. Look at that tiny wrist pin, the rod is half as thick in all dimensions. I wouldn't want to increase the cylinder pressures on a D15B7 much at all. It won't hold it.

With all things considered of what it would cost to add a significant amount of power to a D15B7, an LS motor is a much better alternative (I found 2 locally for $450, one has a tranny). But if you want to be different and build a D15B7, start on the bottom end. Go nuts... nobody will have a car like yours. You'll be a pioneer. Don't think I haven't thought about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dcp02083.jpg (63.8 KB, 43 views)