View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
dlh1999
Runs with scissors.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, as per igo4bmx's request, here's my story...keep in mind it's not very exciting, and will probably be way too lengthy:

I used to have a Nissan mini, and had these two amps:

Pioneer Premier GM-X1022
Pioneer Premier GM-X822 (both Class A amps...probably not a good idea on a Nissan electrical system).

Anyway, I fried 2 alternators within probably a year or so of putting the stereo in, and decided to upgrade to an Optima and the 'upgraded' alternator built for AC equipped pickups. After frying another alternator (they were all under warrenty except the 1st one, so just a minor hassle) and even the battery somehow, I decided to go ahead and put a cap in the pickup to try to help things out. Sure enough, that seemed to do the trick, and the bass was hitting harder and deeper. After I put the cap in, though, alternators started frying every couple months...I ended up going through I think I counted 7 alternators before taking out and replacing the Class A amps, and found that the cap hurt more than it helped. Of course, I didn't fully understand amp ratings or anything like that...Anyway, after replacing the amps I realized that my electrical system couldn't keep up, and the cap was the clincher in killing my truck. I put in more efficient amps, without the cap, and didn't have problems with dimming or anything else...go figure.

Last edited by dlh1999; 07-17-2002 at 02:59 PM.