Old 09-03-2003, 09:45 AM
LordBlatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I was able to test another ECU and that wasn't the problem, so I reluctantly towed it to the dealer.

A couple of days later they told me they found the problem: the coil was defective. I explained to them that I had put in a new coil, and I was getting a spark, so how could that be? They said the coil tested at 11,800 ohms, the minimum is 12,000. They tried a test coil and it started right away.

Now, when I tested the original coil, it also tested at around 11,700 ohms, so I decided to replace it. I went to Acura, and they told me they don't stock it, and would have to order one and it would take 3 to 4 business days. You would think they would have this part in stock, as coil failures seem to be a semi-common occurance in 90's era Hondas from what I've read. I was kind of annoyed they didn't have it, so I went to a local aftermarket parts place and picked one up. I tested the new coil, it also tested around 11,800 ohms. So, I figured that was the norm, and ruled out the coil as a source of the problem. I installed the new coil and of course it didn't start.

Now it looks like the local parts place sold me a defective POS, and guess what, I still have to wait 3 to 4 days for the dealer to get a new coil.

I have to admit that I didn't know that a weak spark would be enough to keep the engine from starting. I have always thought that if you had any kind of spark at all, then that wasn't the problem. Live and learn I guess.

Anyhow, thanks to all who gave advice.

LB