Thread: spring rates
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 03:50 AM
00R101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
Spring choice depends on your driving style also.

If you're a smooth driver and do most of your corrections with your right foot, you can get away with lighter rear springs to help turn in, and rotation with late braking. That kind of setup can be very loose if driven harshly, but is easy to stop the rotation with the addition of throttle. Stiffer front springs also seem to make the car corner flatter.

Heavier rear springs are usually best if you snap the car into a corner, the outside front will dive, your inside rear tire will do a "dog piss" and you'll still get rotation. The way to stop rotation with this kind of setup is to feed into the throttle while you're straigthening the wheel, because too much throttle in this situation usually just abuses the inside front tire. In a limited slip setup, quick throttle application can induce a push with this kind of spring setup.

Those are just some experiences and observations I've made in the course of helping set up a variety of FWD cars.

The bottom line is that either setup can be fast if it's tailored to the driver's style and comfort zone.
Wow, that sounds backwards from everything that I have learned. More power to you if that thinking works for you. But I have always heard that stiffer rear = looser rear