Notices

New to imports

Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
t-townCivicSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to imports

hey I'm new to the civic nation I sold my 95' z28 to pick up my all black 06' si. This car rocks was wondering if anyone knows where to get a good vtech controller?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

1. it's spelled vtec. you actually have ivtec. :a:
2. you do not need to mess with vtec until you have cams at the least
3. go to www.howstuffworks.com and learn how vtec and ivtec works
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
ErichPryde

I think you might mean VTEC controller. I know that Hondata offers a reflash for the 2006-2007 civic si, it's about 600 dollars. the reflash causes vtec to engage earlier, somewhere around 4000 or 5000 rpm. Here is what Hondata has to say about vtec controllers. I looked around, but I can't seem to find a vtec controller (other than the reflash by Hondata) for the 06-07 si. I also know that some people on the temple of vtec forum like the hondata reflash, but I haven't personally seen one in action.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 PM
ErichPryde

and, IMO, honda did a pretty good job of setting up the vtec engage point for the 06 civic si. If you want to get a tiny bit more power out of your car though, go for it.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
ErichPryde

Hondata Reflash 06 civic si
Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM
SuperSilverG13
notaQQbear

This comes straight from Snoopy so give him credit, he actually posted this for me when i asked the same question so i figured it might help you out

This is why piggy backs suck-

Piggy Back controllers allow stock ECUs to do things that they normally can't do, like run larger injectors or deal with boost. Remember that piggyback controllers work by altering sensor signals before they get to the ECU.
Most of the time, the primary signal being messed with is the Map Sensor. This is critically important in a Speed Density car. The Map Sensor is used by the ECU to guess how much air is going into the car, and therefore how much fuel to supply in order to match airflow. When you "lean" out a car with an AFC, you are simply decreasing the Map Sensor signal - the ECU responds to the decrease in manifold pressure by supplying less fuel. When you "richen" a car with an AFC, you are simply increasing the Map Sensor signal - the ECU responds to the increase in manifold pressure by supplying more fuel.
The change in fueling happens for a reason: if you look at a fuel table, Map Sensor values correspond with columns. When you increase or decrease the signal from the Map Sensor, you are simply making the ECU use a different column than it originally would have used. (see Understanding Maps if you need some help understanding reading Fuel and Ign tables)
But wait, isn't the Map Sensor used for determining ignition requirements too? When you "lean" out a car with a Piggy Back, you also in all likelyhood advanced timing. When you "richen" a car with a Piggy Back, you also in all likelyhood retarded timing. Look at trends horizontally (as MAP changes) in an ignition table, and you will see why this happens. This helps explain why so many boosted cars running on the "AFC hack" have issues due to excessive ignition advance.
The bottom line: Piggy Back Controllers suck because you cannot independently adjust fuel and ignition. Any changes to fueling will produce a change in ignition too, and often this is undesirable.
as you can see, piggy backs are less than desirable. to fully tune your engine you need a rom editor program like hondata or neptune. or a full standalone that replaces your stock ecu like an aem ems. you only need to make adjustments to vtec, fuel, and ignition when you have significant mods that are letting more air in and out. bolt on's do not qualify.
-Snoopy
Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by SuperSilverG13
This comes straight from Snoopy so give him credit, he actually posted this for me when i asked the same question so i figured it might help you out

This is why piggy backs suck-

-Snoopy
the credit for that goes to www.phearable.net
Old 02-22-2007, 03:53 AM
SuperSilverG13
notaQQbear

fair enough, give credit where credit is due
Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

except there are noticeable gains in many of the newer vtec motors when a reflash is applied.

honda had enough of trying to explain vtec, so they designed it to kick in by putting the x-over beyond optimal--- just check the spike in the dynos--

it's this way in the TSX, rsx, civic Si, and to a lesser extent the s2k.

honda engineers were about to physically engineer turbo lag into the RDX for this same "kick" until an american engineer turned the team around, showing them that the engine was more fun with torque throughout (he decided to place it into his 02 accord and show them both tunes on-road)