Notices

2006 Ralye Red Si with color-matched calipers

Old 12-19-2006, 02:03 AM
ErichPryde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ralye Red Si with color-matched calipers

I decided to paint my brake calipers. thought about it quite a bit before I did it, actually. I've seen cars drive by me before with painted calipers, and sometimes they just don't look.... right. so I thought a lot about it and finally took the risk.
went down to my local auto zone ad purchased some dupli-color caliper paint (the spray on kind) for 6 bucks. jacked up the car, removed the front right wheel, took the bolts out of the caliper, masked off everything important, and went to work.
Two days later (in between the rest of my life and work) I got finished with all four calipers. I got reallllly lucky with the paint- the dupli-color red matches the factory ralye red quite nicely- I'll have to post some pictures at some point.
anyway, this cost me 6 bucks and 6 hours. the brakes were a BREEZE to take on and off, even the rear setup for the emergency brake wasn't that much hassle. Easy, cheap, and I think it improves the look of the car.
eh. I'll get around to posting some pictures and getting some opinions. next it'll be onto the SRI!

speaking of that, applesauce, did you ever install/buy a SRI, and what brand did you go with?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 AM
Jon02Accord

this thread is useless without pics, even if you said they are on the way......BLUE BALLS!!!!!!!!!! :P
Old 12-19-2006, 02:10 PM
ErichPryde

Default pictures (as promised)

this shot is from a little far away but it's a good place to start. unfortunately it's really drabby weather today, dark and rainy. this does not make for a good photographic environment, but you'll get the general idea.

with this one you can see that the painted caliper matches the car pretty well. due to the camera flash and drabby lighting, the side panel closest to me and the front end look different shades of red, but overall the caliper looks nice.

this makes it clear that everything was masked properly...

and here's a shot of the rear caliper. all that red overspray in the wheel well is factory, not me. you can really see the rain in this picture...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:21 PM
ErichPryde

all the red overspray in the wheel wells is factory overspray, I should say.

cost me nine bucks- I also bought a can of Auto Zone caliper cleaner, which smells suspiciously like watered-down B-12 chemtool. later, when there is better light and no rain (another day) I'll take off a wheel and get some more shots.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

The pictures are not working.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Originally Posted by ErichPryde
speaking of that, applesauce, did you ever install/buy a SRI, and what brand did you go with?
I got the Injen CAI in black.

I chose the CAI because it's a relatively short tube (only a little bit longer than the SRI), it’s 6 inches shorter than the AEM CAI, has the throttle response of a SRI, and by far its had the best reviews/gains. Also it’s quieter, and I like silence. I’m in cali and there’s no such thing as rain so I am not concerned with the hydro locking. I haven’t put it on yet but I would still recommend the Injen over anything else. best price here: HERE!

On the subject of painted calipers:

Get those pics working; photobucket is the best hosting site in my experience.

On my old CRX I had them painted blue (spoon stylz, yo!). I haven’t decided if I am going to paint the Si calipers yet, if I do I will most likely paint them black.

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 12-19-2006 at 11:30 PM. Reason: AIM -> AEM
Old 12-19-2006, 10:21 PM
ErichPryde

Default about freakin' TIME for some pictures!

sorry about the pictures. I think I figured out my original problem, anyway. will have to test that later.

this shot is from a little far away but it's a good place to start. unfortunately it's really drabby weather today, dark and rainy. this does not make for a good photographic environment, but you'll get the general idea. the red overspray you see is factory.

here is an angle on the right side. with this one you can see that the painted caliper matches the car pretty well. due to the camera flash and drabby lighting, the side panel closest to me and the front end look different shades of red, but overall the caliper looks nice.

this makes it clear that everything was masked properly... (AND it's a durned-good picture)

and here's a shot of the rear caliper. all that red overspray in the wheel well is factory, not me. look at all the rain on those tires~! to bad i didn't go with the summer tires.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 PM
ErichPryde

see, now that's weird. until just now, I could see all the pictures you guys couldn't. I think that no one else could see them because they were hosted to blogger, and not some other site, but I can't be sure. if there's a computer language guy out there, maybe they can explain the problem. HOPEFULLY everyone can see the pictures now.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

looks good, get some pics of the whole car so we can see how well they show up.

paint those wheels black!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Jon02Accord

looks good!

my dealer has had a white 2dr on the lot for about 2wks now. they said that the next two will be 4dr versions. they cant keep a fit more than 24hrs.