Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

anyone here running hankooks yet?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here running hankooks yet?

Last weekend I had a bit of a mess as mine started warming up. they became a little less predictable than they had been, it was the first weekend I raced in mid-90 degree weather with them. Several people suggested the ventus RS2 should be cooled down like the azenis and I could gain a few tenths that way. What are others doing?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
DakarM

with mid 90s i would spray water in between runs even with the new kumho V710. specially if the course is longer than usual, say 50+ seconds.

one not so scientific way to test if you need to cool the tires is to place your hand on the tread after a run (within a minute or so). if you can't leave you hands on the thread for 10seconds then it's too hot. like i said it's not scientific but it's cheap and it's close enough for our purpose (not national level drivers, even if the advice was given by someone who won the nationals 3 times).
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:08 PM
DSMtuner
(-_-)/'i')

Originally Posted by Fujiwara Takumi
Last weekend I had a bit of a mess as mine started warming up. they became a little less predictable than they had been, it was the first weekend I raced in mid-90 degree weather with them. Several people suggested the ventus RS2 should be cooled down like the azenis and I could gain a few tenths that way. What are others doing?
The tires seemed more predictable for me on my last two runs. :thinking:

Originally Posted by DakarM
one not so scientific way to test if you need to cool the tires is to place your hand on the tread after a run (within a minute or so). if you can't leave you hands on the thread for 10seconds then it's too hot. like i said it's not scientific but it's cheap and it's close enough for our purpose (not national level drivers, even if the advice was given by someone who won the nationals 3 times).
Blake, I remeber Craig saying "You cant keep your hand on the tire its so hot".
Old 07-14-2005, 06:22 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

yes I do clearly remember that as well. Those tires did get more predictable because the pressures were WAY off on one of my runs, I think you may have misread the gauge. Remember me showing you the tics on the gauge? I think you were on the wrong side of 35 when you were reading it. On the back slalom I heard the rear tire chatter and I thought for sure I rolled it so I know the pressures were low. Ironically I think that was my fastest run.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 AM
mtbprelude
RIGHT Wheel Drive!!!!

Pretend they are the Azenis, especially in the summer. The hand on tire test is great if ambient air temps are below 65, anything above that, just water them. The GRM report on ST* tires ranked the 'Kooks behind the RT615s, and the RT215s.

I have at least 2 events worth seat time on 225/45/16(4g Prelude STS), 235/40/17(5G prelude STX, WRC) and 205/50/15(Teg GSR STS) Z212s 'Kooks. If you don't get on top of watering them immediately, especially at full tread they get greasy by the end of a heat when co-driven. These were all run during a pair of practice days with ambient temp 102 *Gasp, and faint*

In our experience they can be run a few psi softer than the RT215's.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:57 AM
DSMtuner
(-_-)/'i')

Originally Posted by Fujiwara Takumi
yes I do clearly remember that as well. Those tires did get more predictable because the pressures were WAY off on one of my runs, I think you may have misread the gauge. Remember me showing you the tics on the gauge? I think you were on the wrong side of 35 when you were reading it. On the back slalom I heard the rear tire chatter and I thought for sure I rolled it so I know the pressures were low. Ironically I think that was my fastest run.
I take one reading, zero it, and another, at least. I dont think I gave you the wrong pressures.. The gauge doesnt have arabic numbers on it or something.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

im finding that 3-4 PSI below the azenis is a much more predictable tire. Most azenis guys run 38-40, I am running 36 front, 38- rear. typically....still playing with it here and there.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM
DSMtuner
(-_-)/'i')

36/38 felt REALLY good to me, either that or I had alot more confidence, but I was sliding around alot less.