Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Mike Louie, what am I doing wrong?

Old 07-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike Louie, what am I doing wrong?

http://beatracing.com/blake/videos/S...005/Blake6.wmv

Any information you can give me from what you see?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:24 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Well for one thing you coast alot Right there you probably wasted about 5-8 seconds on that course just coasting.

When autocrossing you are either on the gas or on the brakes. When you are not on either you are wasting time. In alot of those sections it seemed (from the camera movement) you would just lift off the gas and just wait and then get on the brakes. When I autocross I'm on the gas til the last possible second then JAMMING on the brakes.

Also the one slalom you were really late getting onto the cones and it killed you on the exit. You want to make sure you get on the base of the cones with the back inside tire.

Also if you can you should back out the view of your camera to see your hands at work. That will show alot too.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:43 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

i got that thing bolted on where my windshield washer squirters are. We have another camera but it's in for repairs.

the first part im in total agreeance with, i have a little more power than i can use right now and im trying to find the right balance, but i know i wasted a lot of time without throttle. the slalom part i dont quite understand. you mean my initial line for the first cone?

I either missed that sentence or you updated it, but i just read that part about backside of the cone with rear tire on another site so it's been marinating a bit for the last two days. Thanks that helps. Another race tomorrow, let's see if I can put something together.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:06 AM
gsr wannabe

You can carry more speed into your corners, and like he said, brake at the last possible second...also try taking a higher line into your corners, so as to 'flaten out' the curves and turns.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally Posted by gsr wannabe
You can carry more speed into your corners, and like he said, brake at the last possible second...also try taking a higher line into your corners, so as to 'flaten out' the curves and turns.

trying to teach myself tight-is-right. I do the road racing stuff and end up using too much road, but you're right. i gotta let it out a little further. that first line on the first straight should have been way wider.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:10 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Fujiwara Takumi
trying to teach myself tight-is-right. I do the road racing stuff and end up using too much road, but you're right. i gotta let it out a little further. that first line on the first straight should have been way wider.
Tight lines is not always right. There were sections on that course where I would have went in a little bit wide to get a better line coming out of the corner.

Also there's a fine line between late braking and locking them up. You don't want the later
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

my friend Roy is trying to teach me throttle control right now, i have an annoying habit of 0 throttle and 100 throttle and nothing in between. Trying to teach myself how to feel the throttle and roll on roll off. Of course driving a FR miata and an FF civic things are a little different, i can get away with a little tighter line and correct with throttle, but I shouldnt.

Anyway, my points placed me at the 92 percentile, which was pretty cool, i made a signifigant improvement yesterday finishing 7/27 in street tire. Probably one of the best finishes I've had this season. Ill have new video when I get home, we ran three cameras so it should be cool
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 AM
mtbprelude
RIGHT Wheel Drive!!!!

http://dmvrscca.org/topten.htm

I stole these from my co-driver this past weekend.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

are you andy hollis? I know that name for soem reason. My best friend Roy is competing nationally for sts2 this year with Craig his codriver. They tied to the .001th yesterday.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

ohhhhh now i know how I know that name. $20k is a lot to race auto cross IMO.