Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

changes after the swap...

Old 10-01-2003, 03:20 PM
A5295
Where am I?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changes after the swap...

I am considering a full GSR swap for my civic in the near future. What changes should i be ready for the first time i autocross after the swap is finished? I am unsure of the weight differences of the D15 and the B18. I am probably gonna swap over the LCA's, sway bars, and suspension from the integra, but it will come later.

How competitive can i be in SM2 with this swap and a stock suspension setup?

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Old 10-01-2003, 05:34 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youre not going to be very competitive with stock suspension... Most cars in SM are thoroughly modified in every respect... suspension, brakes, power, etc...

As for weight, the Bseries motor shouldn't alter your handling too much, it weighs about 60-80 lbs more than your d-series... thats about the same weight as full a/c or power steering... no biggie.

If you want to be competitive in SM, get ready to spend a fair amount of cash... Even if you're a good driver, stock suspension wont cut it unless you live in an area with very few SM cars.

hih
Old 10-01-2003, 08:53 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

The Cobb Tuning WRX last year spent almost $80,000 and still lost if I remember right in SM

You'd be in Street Mod not SM2 (for two seaters).

You'd fair better with your Civic in STS against other cars in that class that are similar weight, power and mods allowed.

SM is no holds barred bring out your bank account
Old 10-01-2003, 09:34 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
The Cobb Tuning WRX last year spent almost $80,000 and still lost if I remember right in SM

...and then they crashed it into a water truck :chuckles:
Old 10-02-2003, 04:41 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Well that was at a different event and the water truck shouldn't have been on the track.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:49 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

that was the sport compact car testing they did (they wanted to get some shots of the cobb wrx sliding on wet pavement only to abruptly introduce the water truck to the wrx
Old 10-02-2003, 09:26 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

that was one of the more entertaining pieces I've read in that mag :chuckles:
Old 10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
A5295
Where am I?

That was pretty funny. I guess my biggest reason for the swap is that i am so sick of being so slow... I spend most of my time on an autocross course trying to reach the tiny power band, and i just feel like i need more power, not to mention everything else.

I am actually pondering selling the car, because i want something rwd. I am only trying to keep the car because i have very little money invested in the car. I am already in dsp, and am not greatly competitive, as i am still a novice, but yet again, i am not getting much seat time, because of budget issues.

So i am unsure what i am going to do at this point.

Did any of that make sense?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:55 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

well, if youre iffy on fwd vs. rwd, you probably don't want to go pouring money into a civic. Look for an old corolla gt-s or an old MR2 to race in a stock class. Or just find an old beater honda for H-stock. If you just want to have fun and be competitive, stock classes are the way to go. It takes a lot of money, dedication, practice and skill to make it in SM for most regions.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:18 PM
A5295
Where am I?

Oh i definately agree. I am looking to be competitive in my group of guys, more so than just in pax. A few of the guys in our group are already running in sm2-a ZC powered CRX and a 10psi boosted turbo II rx7. we compete more so for just raw times between each other, more so than the pax and trying to be so competitive with the big shots in our region.