Notices

code 22, HELP PLEASE!!

Old 07-16-2003, 12:10 AM
civicInfuZion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 22, HELP PLEASE!!

today i went down to my man at the new racin store, intecracing, and he ran my code for me and it was throwin code 22. Code 22 is for the VTEC oil pressure switch, so i went down to the Acura delearship and picked one up for 70 bucks and put the new one in and i'm still pickin up the same code. I've cleared the code by disconnecting the battery, and the ecu and even pullin the ecu fuse. but it's still registering as code 22.

Also, ever since the check engine light has been on, my redline moved from 8k to 6500. also causing my gear ratios to be messed up. any ideas?

oh yeah its a gsr engine, not a b16 or d16. ... i love the swap
Old 07-16-2003, 05:48 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I just went through this with Slacker and it was Phiz that helped us out. Thanks again Phiz:thumbup:

Did you swap in a JDM motor? You need to wire the blue wire from the oil pressure plug into the single wire going to the VTEC solenoid itself and then ground the black wire from the oil pressure plug.

The reason your car is redlining so low is because the ECU is in limp mode...it will stay that way until you clear out the code 22.

What ECU are you running (USDM vs. JDM, year, and I am assuming this is a P72 ECU)? Did your Civic engine have VTEC? If not you are going to need to run some wires from the ECU to the VTEC solenoid...I cannot help you with the pinouts on the ECU though.

The "Search Button" is always your best friend!
Old 07-16-2003, 08:56 AM
civicInfuZion

i bought the car with the swap, its a 94 USDM obd1 gsr motor. It's runnin with a Dinan (not sure if that is spelt right) but yes its a P72 ECU....if it helps any, it's performance chipped.

Anyways, isnt that kinda risky, just cut the wire harness that currently are there and just run them my self. I dunno just kinda scares me there. but that should solve the problem?
Old 07-16-2003, 09:52 AM
civicInfuZion

i did it and it turns code 21 on for the selonoid. what do i do with the other ends of the green and the blue wires running below the engine? can you possibly draw this out and scan it for me? i really appreciate your help thank you
Old 07-16-2003, 10:04 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

What we did was strip back the coating on the green VTEC solenoid wire, pulled out the wires from the oil pressure switch plug and taped the blue wire from the oil pressure switch to the exposed wire where the green covering used to be on the VTEC solenoid wire. We then taped the black wire to the engine block.

It is a 1/2 assed rigged job but we were not sure it would work. now that we know it does we are going to solder the wires together and then find a good, suitable place to ground the black wire.

I can't draw a diagram anytime soon...maybe Phiz or Slacker could.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:10 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Did you cut the VTEC solenoid wire...the green one? If you did you should not have and you should put it back.

Also I am not sure what your "Dinan" computer program for the ECU is doing...I thought Dinan only did performance parts for BMWs...I did not know they branched out into tuning Honda ECUs.

Phiz no more about chipipng ECUs than me...this is really his area of expertese and not mine.

I would PM him and Slacker as well as WestCoastStyle...they might be able to offer more info.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Slacker

At the moment I just have the black wire capped. And I just ran the blue wire into the green wire (vtec solenoid wire). It's not grounded and that works. If your getting code 21 you probably spliced the two wires together:doh: You need that green wire to continue to the solenoid. I am actually going to ground the black wire sometime this week. Just ahven't got around to it. And hey it works without being grounded
Old 07-16-2003, 01:20 PM
civicInfuZion

k i'll try it out, what do i do with the blue wire coming out of the pressure swith. i cut it and ran the blue one comin off of the switch to the selonoid but then you have the other half of the blue one. do i just let that be?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:29 PM
civicInfuZion

i really doubt it but could this be a possible cause, i just changed the oil and it was really bad oil. i didnt have time to change the oil filter so i still have the bad one on it. could that mess with the oil pressure causing the vtec oil pressure switch to go alert?
Old 07-16-2003, 03:11 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

One end of the blue wire goes to the ECU...the other end gets tied into the VTEC solenoid.

You should not have another end to the blue wire...if you do that is very bad:slap: