Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming/Whinning noise while idling in 99 Accord EX V-6

Old 06-20-2003, 04:31 AM
tbenke16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming/Whinning noise while idling in 99 Accord EX V-6

Hi.

I have received useful information about EGR in the past from this site but this is the first time I have actually posted.

I returned from vacation and when I started my Accord I noticed a high pitched humming/whinning noise while the car was at an idle. The noise continues while accelerating and eventually decreases at higher speeds. It seems like it could be coming from a belt of some sort.

While looking under the hood the noise seems to be coming from the left side of the engine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:24 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

how long has the car been sitting. You may just need to spray the belts.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:26 AM
tbenke16

Thanks for the reply.

The car was only sitting for a week. The noise has continued for the past 3 weeks. The car has 59,000 miles.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Accord1278

does it happen when you turn on the radio/cd player and go away when the radio is off? if thats the case, then you got a bad ground somewhere. i had that problem, but only with the radio on and it's a bad ground.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:55 PM
showgunz

The alternators are notoriously bad on the V6. So did you fix the EGR problem? I don't know about your model year, but the 2000's had a "recall" on the EGR being stock or clogged. It's not a safety recall where they invite you to get it fixed, but rather that they have a service bulletin to look out for this possible potential problem.

And also, does the sound get louder as you press on the gas? Describe more symptoms and how you get the noise.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:03 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Originally posted by showgunz
The alternators are notoriously bad on the V6.
if i had to make a guess wthout seeing/hearing the car...it would be just that. the alternators are goddamn horrible.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:25 AM
tbenke16

Thanks guys.

I did fix the EGR problem. I took it into Honda after reading the error codes myself. They fixed it free of charge.

The humming noise does get louder as you press the gas. The radio being on/off does not make a difference. It begins at startup while idling and becomes more high pitched as you accelerate.

I will keep the alternator in mind. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:48 AM
tbenke16

My wife just called me with another symptom. I don't know if it is related. She was driving the Accord to work this morning and she said all of the warning lights (gas, oil, emergency brake, doors ajar, etc...) came on. They stayed on for a few miles and went off.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:56 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Originally posted by tbenke16
My wife just called me with another symptom. I don't know if it is related. She was driving the Accord to work this morning and she said all of the warning lights (gas, oil, emergency brake, doors ajar, etc...) came on. They stayed on for a few miles and went off.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
alternator...or ignition switch. had the ignition switch recall done yet? mention campaign 02-031 at the dealer if you haven't received a letter.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:00 AM
tbenke16

I haven't had the ignition recall fixed yet. I plan on doing that soon. When i was in at the Honda dealership for the EGR recall they told me to come have that done.

The car is having the alternator tested today.