Notices

power antenna/radio question

Old 06-03-2003, 06:48 PM
drummingaccord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power antenna/radio question

will my power antenna continue to function normally if I install an aftermarket cd player/radio unit?

is there any sort of adapter kit required?

would it be worth getting a '95 accord cd player add-on for the stock cassette/radio? (i'm thinking no due to OEM cost and relative value)
Old 06-03-2003, 06:52 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

yes ... your power antenna will work if connected properly. for ease of installation, get a color coded radio harness from circuit city or bestbuy.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:06 PM
blk92accord

On a similar note my 92's antenna is shot, motor still works but the mast is shot, any ideas where to pick one up and what's the best way to prolong its life
Old 06-04-2003, 06:26 AM
sickhonda

blk92accord

If your certain that your antenna motor is still functioning then you should contact "Chuck or Kay" at bridgewood@ameritech.net, for a genuine Honda replacement mast. They sell them much cheaper than Honda dealership, and with instruction on install. They also offer unbelievable customer service, if you encounter any problem with taking apart and install. Tell them "magssy" sent you. Unfortunately, they're still working on their website to promote their business, their legit, but I can only offer you their email.

Stick with genuine Honda replacement mast and don't settle for any aftermarket antenna mast, they tend to have problem with fitment.

The power antenna tend to break often during winter months due to extra debris that builds up around the mast, causing it to get sticky. To make them last longer...when extended, try wiping it clean with very thin motor oil, or better yet, gun oil if you have access to one.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:33 AM
TriKKy

I bought an aftermarket MP3 player for my 95 4Runner. The antenna did work, but not the same as stock radio. The antenna would go up whenever the unit was on, regardless of if I was listening to a CD or the stereo. Also, even though the unit had an auto-dimming feature it didnt sense when the car's lights went on. The install was done by circuit city and I read in the manual that the lights were a common issue and wouldnt work with all cars....the antenna...I dunno.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:41 AM
albee

I replaced the stock cassette head unit in my '95 EXR with an Alpine unit. One thing that used to annoy me with the stock unit was that the power antenna would go up when I turned it on, even if I just wanted to play a CD. The Alpine has a separate control lead that goes active only when the tuner is selected. So now, the antenna stays down when I power up the head unit and am playing CD's.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:39 AM
b_dyche
owned by a 9 car pile-up

If it were me I'd just tap into the remote wire (med./light blue solid) and install a switch for the antenna, that way you control when it's up and down. If you have subs, be sure to tap the remote wire (making a second wire lead) before the break for the switch, or connect to the ACC wire, or your subs will only work when the antenna is up.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:39 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

y not go with the antenna like the 96-97 accords. I love not having that antenna on my car